Street photography has become a popular genre of photography in recent years, and one of the most popular tools for capturing these candid moments is the 35mm film camera. In this post, we’ll explore the benefits of shooting street photography with a 35mm camera, and some tips to help you get the most out of your photos.
What is 35mm street photography?
35mm street photography refers to the act of capturing candid moments on the streets using a 35mm film camera. This type of photography is often characterized by its spontaneity and rawness, capturing the essence of everyday life and the people who inhabit it.
Why use a 35mm camera for street photography?
There are several reasons why a 35mm camera is a great choice for street photography:
- Portability: 35mm cameras are compact and lightweight, making them easy to carry around with you all day.
- Discreetness: 35mm cameras are often small and unobtrusive, which can make it easier to capture candid moments without drawing attention to yourself.
- Film quality: Film has a unique look and feel that can be difficult to replicate with digital cameras. 35mm film in particular has a distinctive grain that adds character and depth to your photos.
Tips for shooting 35mm street photography
If you’re new to shooting street photography with a 35mm camera, here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Get comfortable with your camera: Spend some time getting to know your camera and its settings before you hit the streets. This will help you react quickly to capture the perfect shot.
- Use a fast film: Street photography often takes place in low-light situations, so using a fast film (such as ISO 400 or higher) can help you capture sharp images without a flash.
- Look for interesting moments: Keep an eye out for interesting moments and scenes as you walk around. Look for people interacting with each other, unique architecture, or interesting lighting.
- Get close: Don’t be afraid to get up close and personal with your subjects. This can help you capture the emotion and details of a moment.
- Be respectful: Remember that you’re taking photos of real people in real situations. Be respectful of their privacy and don’t take photos without their consent.
35mm street photography is a great way to capture the essence of everyday life on the streets. With a compact and discreet 35mm camera, you can easily capture candid moments without drawing attention to yourself. By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to creating stunning street photography that captures the rawness and spontaneity of everyday life.